Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Irish Pub Challenge


Walked on over to Kinsale’s for a welcome Irish setting and hopefully a good corned beef sandwich.  I was not disappointed.  I settled in at the bar and ordered a black & tan, which was served up immediately by the bartender, who asked me my name, introduced himself as Chris, and shook my hand firmly.  I think that’s the first stranger’s hand I’ve been offered since I got here.  Made a mental note to tip him higher than usual for that.

Enjoyed my dinner immensely.  Glanced at the liquor shelf behind the bar and spotted a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey.  Thought, why not?  Was relaxed enough from the black & tan to have no scruples about asking what might be good mixed with the Jameson – other than water.  Chris suggested ginger ale; sounded great.  Turned out to be a semi-pleasant evening, overall, but for the pangs of loneliness when no one seemed to be answering my texts.  Bad time to be texting people back home, I suppose.  It was about 7:30 pm here but only 4:30 back home.  At least I could pretend to enjoy the baseball game that was on one of the monitors.

A young child screamed out in his childishness from the restaurant behind the bar.  A second scream, and I looked at Chris and said “Glad I don’t have one of those!”  He agreed – and pointed out that he never did understand why people bring their children to bars.  A funny conversation commenced.  I learned that Chris just moved here to the Upper East Side with his girlfriend after living across the river for 2 years.  He learned that I’m new in town and just moved in down the street, and welcomed me to the City.  I think this place will be a nice little regular stop for me, if I could just get over the lonesome feeling that being in a bar setting seems to conjure.

Seems that a woman alone in a bar with a wedding ring on harbors more suspicious questions than general curiosity.  Perhaps a lot of assumptions are made.  Perhaps no one even notices or cares.  All I know is that it felt very strange.  I would like to work on getting over that insecurity, because it would be nice to just be able to duck into the nearest pub and strike up a conversation with someone interesting – who doesn’t think I’m hitting on them and doesn’t want to hit on me – it’s just friendly conversation. 

So as far as my secondary NYC agenda, which involves breaking out of my shell and conquering my debilitating shyness, I think the Irish Pub Challenge is where it’s at.

2 comments:

  1. I've eaten many a meal alone in a restaurant, but I tend to avoid pubs/bars on my own. Not being much of a drinker, this has worked out well for me. But I can imagine the people watching must be unparalleled, so I can understand wanting to hang out in such places. Glad your bartender was a kind-hearted soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do wonder if I'm just being too sentimental over the whole thing. Perhaps I shouldn't be hanging around alone in pubs. Maybe it's just too weird. Sometimes I can't tell the difference - am I uncomfortable because I'm simply too shy, or is it because common sense is telling me I shouldn't be there? Time will tell. :)

    ReplyDelete