Sunday, June 5, 2011

History in the Making


So.  About standing on that sidewalk, watching Gary get into that taxi to go home while I stay here, all by myself, for an indefinite amount of time:
Ouch.

But that’s part of the experience, I suppose.  But, you know – ouch.

At least there’s Skype.  :)

I go to Queens on Tuesday to meet with my internship peeps.  So excited to meet them in person and find out que cosas interesantes I’ll be working on.  I look forward to having things to do to take my mind off of being by myself out here.  I knew it would be a bit lonely in the pub last night, and I thought I’d prepared myself for that, but it kind of felt worse than I’d imagined.  The bartender was very helpful and I tipped him well for his awareness of my social predicament.  I promised to be back, but I’m not sure I’ll go during peak hours.  A Guinness black & tan turns out to be quite lovely on a muggy Manhattan afternoon.  This from the girl who always says “I don’t like beer.”  Who knew?

But how excited am I now that my old friend Laura, who I met years ago under precarious NAU work-slash-Monte Vista Lounge-vampire-crowd circumstances in Flagstaff, now in Rhode Island, is coming out to the City for a weekend!  I haven’t seen her in over a decade.  It will be fantastic, as we share the same quirky interests in old historical matters and funky bohemian artsy-fartsy.  I’m talking the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, a ‘Gangs of New York and the Bloody Five Points’ walking tour, a walk on the High Line, countless old Irish pubs, et al.  It will be a weekend filled with laughs, plenty of Guinness, and history – both of New York and our friendship.  Looking forward to getting to know her all over again.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait can't wait can't wait! Looking forward to getting to know you all over again, too. :)

    ReplyDelete